Monday, November 8, 2010

a strange separation

I once asked a mother of an older son what was the strangest part of adjustment to him being away at college. She replied that it was not his abscence so much as when he showed up early one morning at home to surprise her. I thought that was great. She said the strange part was that he was on the road for most of the night and she had not known it! That I could understand.
T is rowing crew at college and there was a regatta in Chattanooga on Saturday. As that is close to our mountain cabin, he let me know he planned to spend the night there after the meet. I reviewed turning on the water and the hot water heater,etc. and did not think much more about it. He called Saturday night to make sure he should spray the pan with PAM.
"What do you mean? Why?"
"Don't I have to do that before I cook the steak?"
WHAT!! He is cooking his own food...by himself...in another state...!!!He can afford steak?!
I calmly replied that I would put some olive oil in the pan so nothing would stick. I could just imagine what my pan would look like.
"Umm, what else are you eating?"
"I got frozen mashed potatoes and some dessert..ok, Mom, thanks...bye"
I want you to know that I managed NOT to call him until 8:30 the next morning. Ostensibly to check if the house had been warm enough, but really just to make sure he answered the phone and had not a)burned the house down or b) choked or c) any of the 100 other things I imagined in the middle of Saturday night!
"How was the steak?"
"Pretty good"
"How did you know how to cook it?"
"Mom, I've watched Graypoppy(my mother) fix me a steak plenty of times...it was no problem."
I now know several things:
My mother is a much nicer person than I am.
T can cook for himself, and he will not starve .
I am cutting back on his allowance.
I haven't had steak in months :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment