Sunday, November 14, 2010

Straight, No Chaser...My How Times Have Changed

SG realized a month ago that Straight No Chaser was coming to the Aronoff Center. Both girls love a cappela music, especially Straight, No Chaser. Now, I can see why, as they were fabulous! As students at Indiana University, they performed at campus events in the late 90s. Their rendition of the "Twelve Days of Christmas" went viral on the internet and before they knew it, they had a 5 record deal with Columbia Records. The internet launched them and apparently continues to sustain them.
I took a picture with my phone before it started and then put my phone away. Like clapping in church, I would never think of using a camera or recording equipment at a concert. As part of their charming introduction, they laughed about their Wikipedia page and invited the audience to tape away as long as they would agree to put it on the web when they got home. I took another picture but then you can really either live it or record it. Besides, I can't knit and snap pictures at the same time:-) The glowing screen to the left of the picture is the camera of one of the group members' parents. They cheered, clapped, gave the thumbs up and were as much fun to watch as SNC. At Intermission, I heard one young woman a few rows ahead, turn to ask the mom if her son was single...creepy!


The best part of being allowed pictures is the customary embarrass your teenagers photo. "Come on just hold up your t-shirts and smile."
"MOOOOMM"
Almost as fun as calling it "ah copello" music!



2 comments:

  1. That would be "Indiana University." There is no University of Indiana. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information! I still have much to learn about life in the Midwest:-)

    ReplyDelete