Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Meet my friend Sue



.
Just fooling! This is my friend Sue...Sunbonnet Sue.


These are some of her 29 friends.
I met Sue 22 years ago right after I bought my house in Nashville. They were made by the woman who had owned the house next door, maybe sometime in the 1940s or 1950s judging from the fabric. Mrs. Dollar(no kidding) had died and her daughter -in -law was selling everything in a yard sale. I paid her price of 50 cents a piece for the 30 squares. She felt so badly about pawning off "that old junk" on me that she threw in some other handwork and a child size rocker(which has been on my fireplace ever since).
I had NO idea what to do with my new friends. I just knew I had to rescue them to keep them from being thrown in the trash. Rick and I got married , moved to California, Memphis, and back to Nashville, Sue went with us. Once the children started arriving, she was forgotten unless I moved her to another cabinet or shelf.
This Summer, I was able to start quilting. I put together the Windowpane quilt from this book, and started to the understand the mechanics of sashing. I used only fabric from my stash and I am handquilting it now. (Excuse the sleeping cat, but I can't really blame him. A quilt on a frame sitting in the sunshine from the window has to be like lying in a hammock. The polka dot fabric is my "cat guard".)

Now, it is finally time for Sue. After being liberated from one of the billion boxes in the basement, she will have her day! Stay tuned !

No comments:

Post a Comment