Sunday, November 14, 2010

The easiest way to make 49 scarves...

SG's choir teacher called a few weeks ago to see if I was interested in making some scarves for a Holiday Choral Performance. My initial response was surprise as we are new to the area and how did she know to ask me?! SG's voice teacher is also the school's pianist for performances and mentioned to the choir teacher that I was always knitting ... I was happy to help, but I knew that it could go horribly wrong. After 7 years and counting with my own teens, I knew "buy-in" was vital. I asked if I did some prep work, would she like the kids to make their own scarves? She was thrilled as she had meetings to attend, so I could back up the substitute and show the kids how to make the scarves.
The kids would be performing outside(in NOVEMBER!) in their tuxes and long black dresses. Polar fleece seemed essential ...and easy. After making some early examples, the choir teacher and kids decided on scarf length, color and style of felt decoration. I started planning, cutting and BAKING! My first job was to start making batches of gingersnaps...8 dozen! This recipe freezes brilliantly and then bakes straight from the freezer. I cut 49 72 inch long scarves and trees, snowflakes, holly leaves and wreathes.
Last Thursday and Friday, the kids scooped up what they needed, sat down and went to work! They were delightful! Respectful, enthusiastic and focused- I was impressed and pleased as these kids were all new to me.
Okay, the cookies, hot chocolate and cider did not hurt either:-)

Some of the finished product... and more cookies(chocolate chip bar cookies) for Friday as the 8 dozen were all eaten on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment