Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Queso Blanco

After the milking, I had lovely whole milk.  It is hard to see in the picture, but there is a faint line as the fatty cream rises to the top and the milk sinks to the bottom.



Now I just had to figure out how to separate them.  I headed to the local DEAL$ (the girls hate the  dollar sign on the end, but agree it is better than DEALZ).  I am on the lookout for a glass jar with a metal spigot, but this will have to do for now. For $5, I did get 4 matching drinking cups:) Two other flaws in my plan, the pitcher was green and  hard to see the line, plus after pouring it into the new container, I needed it to  sit for 12 hours rather than 6 to fully separate again.


All the recipes I have been using have come from this amazing cookbook.  I found it in the library and was so impressed that I asked Santa for my own copy!  The instructions are clear, the recipes delicious, and it is a great resource. He even has a recipe for making soap using 61/2 pounds beef kidneys and a picnic cooler...I am desperate to locate kidneys and make my own soap!


The recipe calls for fresh milk, vingegar, and salt-that is it! The  8 cups of milk  are heated  to 180 degrees. 



                        Meanwhile line a strainer with wet cheesecloth and place over a bowl.



Here I added the 1/4 cup vinegar and you can see the clumps or curds forming and separating from the whey.

 I dumped all of it in the strainer, then I put the curds back in the pan to salt it and then back into the strainer       to finish draining.
               It is draining  and has a consistency at present of a lumpier ricotta.  The whey is very warm                     below in the bowl-more on it in a minute.
  Wrap the cheese and place the strainer over the bowl.  Place saran wrap over the whole thing and let it sit in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days, turning it once. In a million years, I would never have thought of the use for the whey, but it is in the cookbook.

I poured the warm whey into a pitcher and added a cup of sugar stirring to dissolve it.


                                                          I added the zest of a lemon.
 Then I added the juice of 3 lemons.  As warm milky lemonade, it was different but ok.  After the whey lemonade chilled, it was really good.  It might be good for a glaze as well, either  with powdered sugar on baked goods or on meat...hmmm.
After the cheese sat for 2 days, I crumbled some of it in a pan with olive oil and heated it, browning it slightly and then put it over a salad of winter grown greens, almonds, radishes, and carrots!  It was so good that Rick and I started to eat and forgot to take pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment