Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The cat who got the cream

Through a series of lovely occurrences, on Tuesday I was able to fulfill a long held ambition to milk a cow! I am volunteering at a nonprofit self sustaining farm which grows over 35,000 pounds of produce for a CSA as well as provide educational opportunities from school trips to teaching plowing using draft horses. Here is the link to the farm's website.http://www.turnerfarm.org/
When the  the volunteer coordinator and I spoke about volunteering, she asked if I would be willing to  milk a cow as one of the chores.  Would I be willing...you betcha!!!
On Tuesday morning, it was unseasonably warm at 28 degrees,  alternately misty and rainy.  I put on 19 layers and went to the farm.    
Meet Sally, a beautiful Guernsey weighing around 1200 pounds and sweet when she sees you holding the grain and hay. She came when called and walked right into the milking stall.  A metal bracket called a stanchion went around her neck to remind her to stay in place, but as she was busy eating, she was perfectly content.  



Melinda had brought a thermos of warm water and towel and we proceeded to clean the udders. 

I couldn't milk and take pictures at the same time.

HERE I AM, milking Sally enjoying myself immensely.  She does look a little demonic, but I promise that is the flash.   Melinda was 3 times as fast as I was and got 3 times the volume of milk, but I got several cups.  After milking, we mucked the stall , swept and  hosed everything down.
I went on to work in the vegetable garden covering some Winter crops(3 to 6 inches of snow expected tomorrow), dug some carrots and several other small jobs.  When I got back to the main building, look what was waiting for me!!! I had not expected any milk, but I was thrilled with  the gift!
Here it is strained and ready to use.  You can see a faint line near the top where the cream has separated from the milk.  I want to use the milk for queso blanco and the I am torn between butter or ice cream for the cream.  I will post those over the next couple of days! 


I guess I am not the only cat who got the cream this week:) Mo was suddenly my friend when she smelled the jar.  I promise I got her off the table immediately!
(The colander was made by B in her pottery class.  I have been using it to drain the pasta I am making, but it is too cool to put away where no one can see it)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so fun! Minus the 27 degrees. I can totally picture you there!

    ReplyDelete